"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." ~James 1:27

Sunday, July 3, 2011

7/3/11 Update!

“Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.” -1 Peter 3:8-9

“love, serve, give” This is the theme the Lord continually brings me back to.

It has been pressing upon my heart to write another update for quite some time, however, it wasn’t quite the right time. The Lord has shown up in huge ways in my life recently. He’s given me a steadfast peace in every area of my life. I know I’m at the heart of His will. What an amazing place to be. Through all the joys and sorrows my Lord continues to remind me that what you’re doing now is so worth it My child. You’re making a difference. I’ve brought you here to love, serve, and to give of yourself completely to the Ugandan people, to pour into them everything I’ve give to you. Wow! It always comes at just the right time. As I look back on my stay here, I can remember three significant times the Lord has brought me back to this simple truth…just love My child. Every time I give, every time I simply stop and listen to someone here as they pour out their heart to me, every time I take the time to care for people, I feel that much closer to Christ. It’s who I am, Charity, a beautiful child of God! By the Lord’s grace, I strive to simply live out my name…meaning living a life full of sacrificial selfless love.

Last Sunday was a life changing day in my life. The Lord revealed His truth to me personally during the worship service. My heart has been overflowing with such a peace and a joy ever since. The Lord spoke to my spirit again how I am and can continue to make a difference simply by loving the people around me. Nothing profound, but simple in nature. It was this realization that came over me again that the individuals here need me. Yes, I miss certain things back home, but it really pales in comparison to the difference the Lord is using me to make here in the lives of those He’s placed around me. And just to be part of such an amazing ministry. LOVE!!! That’s what it all amounts to. I prayed and asked the Lord to help me put self on the shelf and give of myself fully to those around me. They need me. I think the most important lesson I’ve learned by being here is how to put myself on the back burner. Yes, I have certain desires and I miss certain things and I’ve sacrificed a lot to be here, but it’s so worth it. The Lord is using Watoto to change lives and I’m so incredibly humbled to be a part of what He’s doing here.

I am currently still residing at the guesthouse and am praying about where the Lord would have me live. I’ve been checking into moving into the staff/volunteer apartments, however, I am still awaiting a response from Watoto’s volunteer coordinator. However, this week my good friend, Barbara, recently moved into a house. She asked me if I would want to move in with her. It’s located close to where I’m currently staying so I’m familiar with the area and the house is brand new. Rent is also very reasonable. Please pray with me that this will work out. I’m supposed to look at it very soon. Please continue praying my work permit comes in soon so I’m able to get my Ugandan driver’s permit.

For the past two weeks I have been working in Bbira village. I’ve been doing some training and education with the mothers and the teachers there. I’ve been co-teaching with a Uganda who has assisted with the language barrier. Most of the mother’s speak English however. We are implementing a new process of reporting repairs in the mothers and teachers homes. We are offering them resources to empower them and show them they are valued and cared for. Due to the shortage in finances, repairs and improvements haven’t been made as timely as they should be, so we are striving to make the necessary improvements. We have implemented new reporting forms for the mothers and teachers in the villages where they can document themselves what items are broken and have been educating them on what all the components in the home are and what their function is. As I was driving away from the village one day last week, Richard (my co-teacher) was walking along the dirt road back into the village. He was carrying all 150 copies we had made of the forms. We made eye contact, a large smile stretched across his face, as he gave me a thumbs up that he had finished making the copies. It was just a small little gesture, but to me, it was as if the Lord was reminding me that He is using me to encourage Richard, to walk beside him and help him. He was so proud to be carrying those copies and I believe we both felt a sense of achievement and success. It was a neat moment! It’s been fun watching him lead the mother’s and answer questions.

Will write more soon! Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment