"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." ~James 1:27

Saturday, March 12, 2011

First Update from Uganda!

Today is the first day I've had internet available. I'm currently at the Watoto office sitting at my new desk :-). Brent had me move some things out of another office into his office so I just finished doing that for him. The past two days have been amazing! My first night was a little tough in that I didn't sleep all night and missed home. However, the Lord is good and He knew exactly what I needed. About 5am Brent walked by my room and called my name because he had lost his bag full of clothes. Of course I wasn't asleep so we talked for a bit and he asked if I wanted to call home. That was a blessing and helped me. I have been praying and trusting that the Lord will meet all my needs according to His riches in glory as Scripture says. That verse and the verse in Heb. 13:20 that states that the Lord will equip me to do His will are the theme verses I've been standing on. The first night, I had asked the Lord to help me make friends. The very next day, which was Saturday, Brent arranged for Moses and I to go to the airport to pick up the bag Brent had left behind with his clothes in it. So we got to spend some time together. The airport was in Entebee, which is about an hour away from Kampala. Then later that afternoon I met Barbara and I rode with her to Suubi village, the village we built in last trip. She is in charge of the agriculture/farming in sustainability here. She is my age, beautiful girl. We really are a lot alike and became instant friends. We talked a lot about dating, relationships, and found out about each other. I told her I could play guitar and the drum. She told me she could hook me up with the worship team in Watoto Church. She told me how it was set up on a rotational schedule. Each team leads every service on Sunday, and each week they rotate. Then when it's your turn again you can choose to remain on the same worship team or switch to another one. She said I could start small, leading worship for cell groups and/or Bible studies, then branch out from there. We also talked about our living situations. She has been house hunting for awhile now and asked if we could work it out with Brent if we could be room mates. Right now she lives a little drive away so she has been staying at the guesthouse where I'm at so she doesn't have to drive back and forth. She said a house would probably be much cheaper than the volunteer apartments. We could also spit the cost, which would be nice also. So be praying that works out just as it should. She also invited me to what they called a Valentine Beach Bash Sunday afternoon after church on Lake Victoria. It was an event advertised by Watoto church. There is a Christian radio station called Power FM and about every month they have a large dance party. How bout that...a Christian environment where they get together and dance the night away for the Lord. :-) That was basically what it was. It was held at a Wildlife center where there were all sorts of animals such as zebras, giraffe's, gazelle's, monkies ect. The monkies cracked me up they would follow you around and try to grab your food. They took off with another ladies popcorn, Julia, who went with us to the party. It was hilarious. Then the wildlife keepers brought out a python snake and was showing everyone. I didn't bring my camera but wanted to take a picture to show dad with the caption.."Look what I found in the bush." Haha.. So Barbara and I walked the trail and looked at the animals and then the dance began. We danced for awhile and danced in a large circle and some of the Africans would take turns, one at a time, dancing in the center. Barbara wanted me to go, so I got in the center and did my prom dance move and they all yelled. Pete, you know which one I'm talking about ;-) It was fun. I told Barbara and Julia after Julia said, "Wow, this girl can dance," that see white people can dance too..haha. Then they had a bonfire later on the beach and danced around it. We did the limbo. Later they had a movie, but we went ahead and left. Saturday evening we attended Watoto Church Central and it was amazing! I was pretty tired though during the service because I hadnt slept in about three days though,but it was still fun. Then Sunday morning Watoto Church North had just opened their new church so they held the first service there. It was an outdoor ampitheater type building. I love their worship services! They are so uplifting and energetic. Right up my alley :-) Then Sunday afternoon was the party. So today I'm at the office for the first part of the day. I rode in Barbara. Then later I will meet up with Brent and we are probably going to tour around the facilties to get an idea of what needs to be fixed. I will hopefully be getting my sim card soon so I can make calls and getting an internet device where I can get internet anywhere. That way I can commuicate more often.

How are you guys? Let me know what's going on. I love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment